Thursday, June 2, 2011

Welcome!

In order to really understand any people and time period, it's important to look, not just at secondary sources, but at primary sources as well. Rather than having you purchase an expensive supplemental reader for this class, I will post here links to some important primary sources online. For most class sessions, I will ask you to comment here on a selection particularly relevant to what we will be discussing in class.

To get started, here's a test of the History 152 blog system. If you don't already have one, please create for yourself a "Blogger" account by following the instructions at http://www.blogger.com/. Be sure to create a blogger profile which includes your e-mail address. Otherwise, I can't reply directly to your post.

To make sure your e-mail address is accessible to me, please log on to your blogger account. Click "edit profile" (toward the top on the right). Then click the box that says to make your e-mail address accessible.

When you have created your blogger account and your profile, click the "comments" link below, and answer one (1) of the following questions:

1. What figure from American history do you find the most interesting? Why?
2. What is the most important thing you learned in your high school American history classes?
3. What historical time period most interests you? Why?

8 comments:

  1. The most important thing I learned from a high school American history course is to analyze rather than memorize. By analyzing certain events, and determining what caused them, it is much easier to remember material rather than plain memorization. Also, this helps to give a broader scope of understanding. As you said, it's all about perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ancient time periods of Egypt, Greece and Rome are the most interesting to me. It is just mind boggling what they were able to accomplish back then as far as architecture and engineering. However I find history rather interesting as a whole. It helps you see where we came from and hopefully can help us not go down some of the same roads again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't pinpoint one historical figure that I think is the most interesting, but FDR is up there with the top...57. :) Just the different "new deals" that he was able to come up with that we were in dire need of was pretty interesting enough. Not only did he seem like a nice guy, he helped out the country greatly and created many new jobs that helped to get this country and its people back on their feet. Those are just a few reasons, but they are enough to deem him as an "interesting" person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My "high school American history classes" are important because they ARE American history from 32+ years ago!!! I've learned that what was unimportant to me then, is now "the most, wonderful, most interesting, most exciting" and most important aspect of my life now, for if we don't know our history, we risk repeating it!!! --- Eric Gerber

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know for a fact that the historical figure that I find most interesting and admirable is Abe Lincoln. His strong leadership and solid Faith made him a picture of a great American leader. His determination in building up his career from being a farm hand and store clerk to public speaker and then making his way into a more political place and finally being chosen as President of the United States. I guess that I also find his honesty and moral standards something that seems to be lacking in modern society.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find that JFK is the most interesting figure in history. It is the fact that he had such great ideas and because of a tragedy the full extent of what he could have accomplished never came about. The question of what would have been is an intoxicating one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The historical time period that interests me the most would probably be the Civil War era. Even though I am against war, for some reason this era just sticks with me. Also, my mom and I like to do the reenactment and what not out at Fort Sisseton during the summer and winter festivals. And that time period is during the Civil War. I also love the 60s; the Beatles, Woodstock, and hippies, how I wish I was born in that period of time. I would make a great hippie. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ever since I was a little girl I have been fascinated with the early settlers/homesteaders. I used to pretend I was Laura Ingalls and would spend hours dreaming about what life was like for her. With the help of my brothers and sister we even built a "cabin" in the woods when I was 8. I wish I could be a fly on the wall and observe what life was like for these amazing people. I wish I could go back and time to see how they dealt with the everyday struggles that they faced.

    On a side note, after our class discussion about the Grange I decided to look up the Grange where my grandpa was a member. Although the site is pretty basic it was still neat to see some information about this place I hadn't thought about in years right there online! Below is the link if anyone wants to check it out. I especially like their motto.
    http://www.olalla-grange.org/index.html

    ReplyDelete